Easy Rider

Easy Rider

Monday 21 June 2010

Good Vibrations (commute route part 1)

Dear reader, it's high time I described my ride to work.

Leaving Barford in a northerly direction, a combined cycle and footpath alongside the A429 gives a pleasant start to the ride. The road itself is a trunk road, the 'gateway to the Cotswolds' from the M40, and as such usually has more truckers than an Eddie Stobart Christmas party. No offence to the Knights of the Road, but it's no place to ride a bike.

Indeed, I always rode along the 'pavement' before it was upgraded, as part of the Barford bypass works. And I told my kids to do likewise, as I'd rather collect them from the police station than A&E, or worse.

There's a yellow bridge for bikes and pedestrians across the M40, which is a godsend as you can avoid Longbridge island. It has two bike chicane gates, with signs that order 'Cyclists Dismount!' I'm ashamed to admit I've never quite managed to comply with that - the challenge is simply too great.

Unfortunately things go downhill as the cycleway runs alongside the Stratford Road into Warwick.

The surface is ribbed, causing serious vibrations - it's like like riding on a giant washboard. Either

a) it was badly designed and specified, or
b) the contractors skimped on materials (come to think of it, there are some nicely tarmaced drives in the vicinity......)

Whatever, it's a shame, because the concept of a shared cycleway is brilliant - with a little common sense, cycles and pedestrians can happily coexist. As a result of the terrible surface (how many WCC councillors or council officers are cyclists, I wonder?), I see many cyclists ignoring the cyclepath and using the road, which really defeats the object.

More fascinating route stuff anon.

No comments:

Post a Comment