Easy Rider

Easy Rider

Sunday 6 June 2010

Under Pressure


Over recent weeks I've found myself involved in increasingly arcane conversations, usually with gentlemen of a certain age, about gear ratios, bottom brackets, cadence and the like. Also, my eyes now go first to the cycling mags at the news stand.....

Among the wisdom I've acquired are two nuggets relating to tyres:

1) cheap inner tubes are a false economy

2) a hard (100 psi) tyre not only reduces rolling resistance, it's less prone to puncture.

So, equipped with new Continental inners at 100psi I set out for work. The route has now settled down, and is basically Warwick - Leek Wootton - Kenilworth - Westwood. A wrinkle is that on the return journey I go up Malthouse Lane and past Kenilworth Castle, partly because Fieldgate Lane is now one-way, partly because it's a pleasant way to go..

So it was inevitable that, tackling the climb through Leek Wooton, I became aware of a regular hiss from a deflating rear tyre. Closer inspection revealed a hole in the tyre. Que faire? Rejecting all the sensible options, I hammered on, to see how far I could get before things became impossible. Sure, it was even harder going than usual, but I reached Westwood with a half-inflated tyre. Which was in the same state hours later. Strange....

And before you ask, 14.85.....

No comments:

Post a Comment